Monday, September 10, 2001

Prologue - 911 - The Day Before

September 10, 2001 A man in an office store in Franklin, NC was talking to the clerk, a young woman, as I walked in. “ . . . that’s right!” He exclaimed loudly, “ . . . and most Christians are not even aware of it!”

He was medium height, slender build, blue jeans and cowboy boots and a tee shirt which proclaimed the virtues of gun ownership on the front and death to those who don’t understand the importance of guns on the back. He was topped with a cowboy hat, although his hat was made of straw and seemed not a thing one might associate with real cowboys

“ Yeah!” He continues “ . . . they’re all over the place!”

His hair was remarkable, braided in pigtails, and it looked like even his sideburns had been braided and they all came down to his shoulders. He pointed his finger at the young lady, “Christians are fools if they don’t pay attention, Jesus wouldn’t put up with it!” He wiped a drip of tobacco juice from his lips with the knuckle of his right hand. He glanced at me then lowered his head as if looking over glasses at the lady. “Look at the Statute of Liberty - that’s a REAL good example!”

The woman behind the counter looked at me like she wanted to wait on me, but the cowboy went on: “That ain’t no Christian face, that’s the face of some heathen god – that’s the face of a Greek goddess!” He wiped tobacco juice with his left thumb from his lips, puckered for expression. “Jesus don’t WANT that!”

She looked at me and he looked at me.

“Kin I hep you, sir?” she asked.

“Yeah, I need your advice.” I showed her the work I needed done and she looked at the cowboy with the straw hat. ”scuse me, I got to go hep this man.”

“I got t’go too . . .” he said, “but you re-MEMber, they’re all over the place, they’re even on yer MONEY, and they repugnant to Jesus . . . an’ they gotta go, ALL of em! “

No comments: