Friday, April 19, 2013

Open Letter to Senator Burr


2013.0419Fr1150.  I called Senator Burr's office (202-224-3154) about his vote Wednesday against gun control.  With 90% of the American people, even 85% of NRA members wanting background checks , why did he vote NO?  The woman staffer who answered the phone said the Manchin wording was not clear, and it was confusing in several points,  she said Manchin had an improper way of classifying people as mentally incompetent and there were other problems with Manchin's wording too.  When I tried to respond  she kept interrupting me.  I wanted to tell Senator Burr that I felt his vote was to please the money behind the NRA , that it was in response to threats from Wayne LaPierre,  and it was a request for Money and a vote cast by Burr for Burr.  I wanted her to tell Senator Burr that I thought his vote It was a vote against the people of America and NC and an invitation for future massacres.    But I couldn't begin to get through so I asked several times to speak to her supervisor and she finally agreed - I asked her for her name and she didn’t answer.  After about a minute a man answered and listened as I explained my thoughts.  No interruption.  I asked if he would relay that to Senator Burr, and he said “yup”.   I asked him what he meant by that comment and he said he was saying that he would tell Senator Burr.  I told him I thought that the use of “yup” was demeaning. Then he interrupted me.  Finally, I asked him his name and he did not respond. I identified myself and told him that I felt that the first person was trying to keep me from speaking to my senator, and now this person was treating my attempt to communicate with my senator as stupid and childlike.  

So this open letter is another way of trying to communicate with my senator.  

No comments: