Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Flyswatter Award to Schieffer


I hearby present My Flyswatter Award for the  debate last night – with a bit of a sting to it – to Bob Schieffer for asking a hypothetical question about what the two debaters would do if, as president, they found that Israel aircraft were already airborne enroute to a strike on Iran. I give Romney a serious kudo for leaping on that even quicker than I could deliver the swat.

I also award Schieffer an additional swat or two for failing to bring up the issue of drones, or Gitmo, or Global Warming among many other  significantly important discussion points concerning International Relations.

Schieffer also gets an additional swat – loudly! – on the moderator's table for letting Romney ramble on as if he, Schieffer, was rattled and didn't know what to do.  He did OK a couple of times later, and that is why that swat will be aimed for the table.

The debate seemed to me to go almost completely in Obama's favor.  Obama spoke carefully, choosing his thoughts.  Romney spoke in a stacato, hesitating, cascade of sounds, making noises even when he didn't have a word ready, like he didn't want anyone to try to interrupt him.  I noticed when Romney was talking Obama fixed him with a fond gaze much the same as my dog looks at a possible intruder.  I wondered where I had seen that before, then I remembered the photo of Obama when he was listening to the attack on Osama bin Laden.  Romney wound up the last two minutes of the debate, just before the closing points, with a pouring out of points about the economy and other non-debate topics.  He should have gotten a series of swats right on top of his head for that!


No comments: